THE HALF DECENT FOOTBALL MAGAZINE

Wigan Springfield Park

Springfield Park was opened in 1897 and at various points over the next 35 years provided a home to Wigan County, Wigan United, Wigan Town and Wigan Borough (as well as, briefly, Wigan Warriors rugby league club) before Wigan Athletic moved in and stayed until 1999.

Its largest attendance came in 1929 when 30,443 watched Wigan Borough take on Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup third round. Wigan Athletic’s highest crowd there was the 27,526 FA Cup second round tie against Hereford United in 1953-54 – the largest attendance for a match between two non-League teams excluding Wembley finals.

Manchester City’s Paul Dickov scored the final competitive goal at the ground before Wigan Athletic moved to the new JJB Stadium in 1999.

Photo by Tony Davis for WSC Photography
Follow WSC Photos on Twitter
Selected images available as prints

Related articles

Photo of the week ~ Burntisland Shipyard as seen from The Binn
Burntisland Shipyard 0 Colville Park 7, 12/08/2017, The Recreation Ground, Scottish Cup first preliminary round Early stages of the game seen...
Photo of the week ~ The statue of Tom Finney outside Preston’s Deepdale
Preston North End 1 Reading 0, 19/08/2017, Deepdale, Championship The statue to Tom Finney outside the ground before Preston North End take on...
Photo of the week ~ Fans try to catch a glimpse of Chasetown v Oldham
Chasetown 1 Oldham Athletic 1, 06/11/2005, The Scholars Ground, FA Cup first round Photos by Simon Gill for WSC PhotographyFollow Simon on...