Bournemouth, Torquay, Woking and Brackley

icon weekendLeague One ~ Howe watches Cherries win
Bournemouth recorded their first home win of the season with a 2-0 victory over Leyton Orient. The stats suggest the Cherries, whose only previous success had come away to Yeovil, dominated the play. They had 63 per cent possession, 17 corners to Orient's one and a shot count of 16 compared to their opponent's two. The breakthrough came from Lewis Grabban in the 65th minute before Marc Pugh doubled the lead two minutes later.

It means that Eddie Howe, who has left Burnley to rejoin Bournemouth and watched the game from the stands, will take over a team now just outside the relegation zone. Goalscorer Pugh is looking forward to working under Howe again: "He expects and demands the best. If you aren't performing, he will tell you. He makes training enjoyable and everybody works hard. He doesn't tolerate below-par performances. We had a small squad when he was here before and you always needed to perform well to keep your place. Football is a ruthless game. Although it is a team game and you have got to perform for one another while you are on the pitch, you have also got to look after yourself and strive to be the best."

League Two ~ Ling can smell Torquay's future
Torquay United beat Accrington Stanley 3-1 to move within a point of the play-off places. The Gulls were ahead after five minutes when Michael Liddle was penalised for a handball in the Accrington area and Rene Howe converted the penalty for his sixth goal in six league games. Padraig Amond levelled the scores on 65 minutes with a header but two minutes later Torquay were ahead again, Billy Bodin heading in. Lee Mansell got Torquay's third with another header ten minutes from time. The Gulls are still unbeaten at Plainmoor this season.

Torquay manager Martin Ling was pleased with his side: "We should have won by a lot more – I think I counted six one-on-ones and we missed the lot. We practice those situations every Monday morning, but it's like practising penalties – you can never really recreate the pressure of doing it in games. If you miss those sort of chances and you haven't won as many games as you want, it does prey on your mind, and you could smell their equaliser coming. I could hear one or two of our supporters saying that, and I agreed with them."

Conference ~ Hill angry at Woking defeat
Woking lost 3-2 at home to Southport on Saturday in a game that saw both sides reduced to ten men. The home team went 1-0 up thanks to a Kevin Betsy goal before Andy Parry pulled the visitors level. Liam Wallis was then sent off for Southport but they took the lead through Chris Lynch after 56 minutes. Gavin McCallum equalised for the hosts with just over 15 minutes to go but Joe McNerney was dismissed for a professional foul and Chris Lever's penalty secured three points for Southport. The result leaves both teams in mid-table.

Woking manager Garry Hill locked his players in the dressing room after the match to vent his anger at the players: "Collectively they haven't done their jobs and the players know that more than anybody. There are no excuses. You lose together and you win together in football, you stand up and be counted together and we've not done enough – no complaints no excuses. I'm very disappointed – the players have let themselves down and they've let the club down. You can't be 1-0 up after 15 minutes and then turn around and think 'job done'. That is the worst performance from a Woking team that I've seen in 18 months. I'm fuming at the moment."

Conference North ~ Brackley record goes with a bang
Brackley Town's unbeaten start to the season ended in emphatic style as they lost 6-1 at Harrogate Town. Before the game Brackley had won nine and drawn one of their opening ten games, a start which left them top of the table. However, following an exit from the FA Cup last week, Brackley found themselves 4-1 down by half time at a Harrogate team that had yet to win at home in the league this season. In the second half the home side put the result beyond doubt with two more goals and moved up to ninth in the table. Brackley remain top, though Chester are one point behind with a game in hand.

Conference South ~ Salisbury held at home
Boreham Wood became the first team to leave Salisbury City's Raymond McEnhill Stadium with a point this season as they earned a 2-2 draw against the league leaders. Salisbury went ahead through a Jamie White goal in first-half stoppage time. Ten minutes after the break Boreham Wood were level through Cliff Akurang but White again put his side ahead on 70 minutes. Fourteen minutes before time Boreham pulled level for a second time, David Hutton equalising and it stayed like that despite Charlie O'Loughlin being sent off for the visitors with ten minutes remaining.

Salisbury boss Darrell Clarke said: "It was frustrating to give away the goals we did and to come away with a draw, but we stay top of the league and keep our unbeaten run at home." Boreham Wood are now second, four points behind Salisbury. Tom Hocking

Related articles

Happy 90th birthday Charlie Mortimore – the Amateur Cup-winning Woking hero
Embed from Getty Images // Woking don’t have a history rich with success but on this day in 1958 there were more than just birthday...
Photo of the week ~ Seagulls swoop at Torquay
1 February ~ Seagulls swoop at Plainmoor, home to Torquay United, after their League Two match against Southend on April 14, 2012. Photo by...
Photo of the week ~ Heavy rain at Aldershot Town
18 January ~ Rain lashes down at Aldershot Town’s Recreation Ground, during their Conference match against Torquay on August 15, 2007. Photo by...