WSC Logo

rss

xmas

Sign up for the WSC Weekly Howl

A small portion of despair and enlightenment delivered to your inbox every Friday

 

First name
Surname
Email

newissue medrec 334

gplus50

footballartbanner1



Welcome, Guest
midweek football
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: midweek football

posted 30-01-2013 16:27
Redknapp is apparently breaking his arse at the moment to sign Peter Crouch and (surprise surprise) Scotty Parker.

How many times will this be that he's signed Crouch? Three?
  • Amor de Cosmos
  • A mean motor scooter and a bad go-getter
  • Posts: 12596
posted 30-01-2013 16:42
It would be, yes. Odemwingie seems to be more likely at this point — as he's spectacularly burned his bridges at West Brom — and the Crouch deal is rumoured to depend on Jamie Mackie going the other way.

Today's gossip has Chis Samba flying to sign with us any minute.
  • hobbes
  • A bastion of rightness in a wrong world
  • Posts: 11702
posted 30-01-2013 17:03
Samba's apparently upset Guus by not saying goodbye.
Sounds like he's done a Pennant and left his car, engine running at the airport.
No one's done a bunk from Russia that quick since someone tripped over the spy rock.
posted 30-01-2013 17:23
The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
The thing I don't understand is why were man utd trying to buy samir nasri, before man city swooped in to blow them out of the water? were they serious? were they trying to dupe man city into saddling themseves with him? did they have a lucky escape.


For anyone familiar with Storage Wars, United were Dave Hester to City's Jarrod on this locker.

I've been dying to use that analogy. No, really.
  • Harry Truscott
  • Mango & lime half chicken, spicy rice, macho peas.
  • Posts: 18711
posted 30-01-2013 17:25
[quote="Tony C" post=756914]caja-dglh wrote:


However, even that nonsense was topped by Redknapp who had two goalkeepers on the subs bench last night. An example of the most pathetic
"look at poor little me" whimpering would be difficult to imagine.


This may be what you mean but it seemed like a clear "Oi, Mr Chairman! Even more money please" message to me.
  • garcia
  • look at how they prospered
  • Posts: 5804
posted 30-01-2013 17:39
i think this would be the fourth time redknapp has bought peter crouch. he was portsmouth's director of football when crouch signed for them in 2001. he signed him again at portsmouth in 2008, and at spurs in 2009, so if you credit the first portsmouth signing to redknapp this would be the fourth time.

he has also sold crouch three times - once while he was director of football at portsmouth, again at southampton, and again at spurs.

in fact, harry has been the buyer or the seller in six of the last seven permanent transfer deals in peter crouch's career.

the total transfer fees involved were £44.5m.

edit - actually a mere £43.75m
Last Edit: 30-01-2013 17:56:00 by garcia.
  • Amor de Cosmos
  • A mean motor scooter and a bad go-getter
  • Posts: 12596
posted 30-01-2013 17:43
This may be what you mean but it seemed like a clear "Oi, Mr Chairman! Even more money please" message to me.


Didn't he do the same thing at Spurs? I seem to remember him saying he could have filled it with a couple of kids, but he wouldn't have played them so what's the point?

An alternative is that it sends a message to everyone not on the bench that they're for sale.

HR said when he arrived he didn't anticipate a big influx of players in the window, as it would be unfair on the chairman who's already shelling out big money. Could still be true, in terms of personnel, only two signings so far, and Tal Ben Haim is playing for pocket money. You can bet Samba won't be cheap though.
Last Edit: 30-01-2013 17:45:54 by Amor de Cosmos.
  • Mr Beast
  • I am literally angry with rage
  • Posts: 2513
posted 30-01-2013 17:45
QPR are spending an unbelievable amount of money - as they did in the summer. That's before even considering the wages, which have been reported as generous. Some of these players will turn out to be good signings and may keep them up this year. But - not unusually for a Redknapp managed club - I fear there will be a reckoning somewhere down the road.
  • Amor de Cosmos
  • A mean motor scooter and a bad go-getter
  • Posts: 12596
posted 30-01-2013 17:53
Neither Hughes nor Warnock spent a lot on transfer fees. Many of their incomers were on free transfers (which is also why so many were injury prone, or have/had other issues.) Redknapp has spent £7 million on Remy. So far that's all. Wages are, of course, another issue and are assumed to be immense in some cases.
posted 30-01-2013 17:53
The new Premier League TV deal, which kicks in next season, is huge money for all involved. Fernandes has sat down, done the sums and decided that lashing out big money now will be worth it in the end -- if they stay up.
  • Harry Truscott
  • Mango & lime half chicken, spicy rice, macho peas.
  • Posts: 18711
posted 30-01-2013 17:53
garcia wrote:
i think this would be the fourth time redknapp has bought peter crouch. he was portsmouth's director of football when crouch signed for them in 2001. he signed him again at portsmouth in 2008, and at spurs in 2009, so if you credit the first portsmouth signing to redknapp this would be the fourth time.

he has also sold crouch three times - once while he was director of football at portsmouth, again at southampton, and again at spurs.

in fact, harry has been the buyer or the seller in six of the last seven permanent transfer deals in peter crouch's career.

the total transfer fees involved were £44.5m.


Who is Crouch's agent, do we know? I seem to recall it might have been his father at one point.
  • garcia
  • look at how they prospered
  • Posts: 5804
posted 30-01-2013 17:57
jonathan barnett.
posted 30-01-2013 17:59
According to transfermarkt, it's Stellar Football Ltd., which represents quite a few Premier League players, including Gareth Bale and Joe Hart (full list at the link).
  • garcia
  • look at how they prospered
  • Posts: 5804
posted 30-01-2013 18:03
this is the man

  • Amor de Cosmos
  • A mean motor scooter and a bad go-getter
  • Posts: 12596
posted 30-01-2013 18:06
Samba is/has signed a 3.5 year deal apparently. Money not yet announced, speculation is about £8 million.
  • Harry Truscott
  • Mango & lime half chicken, spicy rice, macho peas.
  • Posts: 18711
posted 30-01-2013 18:08
The speculation I've seen is that QPR met his £10m+ release clause.

Or is the £8m his wages over the deal? Edit, ah actually that would be "only" around £44k a week, wouldn't it?


.
Last Edit: 30-01-2013 18:10:39 by Harry Truscott.
  • Amor de Cosmos
  • A mean motor scooter and a bad go-getter
  • Posts: 12596
posted 30-01-2013 18:16
AB2 wrote:
The new Premier League TV deal, which kicks in next season, is huge money for all involved. Fernandes has sat down, done the sums and decided that lashing out big money now will be worth it in the end -- if they stay up.


Yeah, the issue of how you simultaneously plan to stay up, and for relegation has been much discussed.

It's likely the players now out, or going out, on loan: DJ Campbell, Faurlin, Bothroyd etc. are seen as important should we go down. In that eventuality the players currently being bought, Remy, Samba, have sell-on potential, like Taarabt, Granero and a few others. It's the old and infirm Hughes lumbered us with that will be the problem.
posted 30-01-2013 18:21
Just for the record, if you look at the link, you will see that Barnett is a principal in Stellar Football Ltd.
  • Amor de Cosmos
  • A mean motor scooter and a bad go-getter
  • Posts: 12596
posted 30-01-2013 18:28
Harry Truscott wrote:
The speculation I've seen is that QPR met his £10m+ release clause.

Or is the £8m his wages over the deal? Edit, ah actually that would be "only" around £44k a week, wouldn't it?


.


Yeah. I think we won't know the real numbers until the smoke clears in a couple of days, maybe not even then. (I'm still not sure how we managed to get Julio César, for instance — but I'm very glad we did.)
Last Edit: 30-01-2013 18:28:50 by Amor de Cosmos.
  • Tony C
  • hardly bothers any more.
  • Posts: 3880
posted 30-01-2013 19:28
[quote="Harry Truscott" post=756932]Tony C wrote:
caja-dglh wrote:


However, even that nonsense was topped by Redknapp who had two goalkeepers on the subs bench last night. An example of the most pathetic
"look at poor little me" whimpering would be difficult to imagine.


This may be what you mean but it seemed like a clear "Oi, Mr Chairman! Even more money please" message to me.


Well, to a degree, but to me it smacked more of a sympathy plea ("look at me, taking on the big boys and I can't even fill the bench with outfield players") than a demand.
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds

 

© When Saturday Comes Limited 2014 | Contact | Privacy & cookies | Sitemap | Managed hosting by Latitude